Ultimate Guide PTE Syllabus for 2024
Welcome PTE aspirants to this blog about the Ultimate Guide PTE Syllabus for 2024 for All Sections. This blog will include what is PTE Academic, the Purpose of attempting the PTE Academic exam, the PTE Academic syllabus 2024, the PTE preparation guide, and PTE exam sections.
Pearson Test of English, The PTE Academic exam is a computer-based test that assesses English language proficiency. It is a test of four sections: Speaking and Writing, then Reading and Listening. It is valued by top universities of the world, the best colleges worldwide, and some countries for visa applications, and immigration purposes.
In 2024, the importance and relevance of the PTE Academic exam remain significant as English proficiency continues to be a key requirement for international education and migration.
It's important to note that testing organizations like Pearson may periodically make adjustments to the test format or content to ensure its validity and effectiveness.
Why Go for the PTE Academic Exam
The PTE Academic exam serves several important purposes for non-native English speakers:
Academic Admission: Many universities and colleges in English-speaking countries require PTE Academic scores as part of the admission process for international students. It helps institutions assess applicants.
Visa and Immigration: Some countries, such as Australia and New Zealand, accept PTE Academic scores for visa and immigration applications.
Employment: Certain employers, especially in multinational companies or industries that require English proficiency, may use PTE Academic scores to evaluate job applicants' language skills.
Language Certification: PTE Academic provides individuals with a recognized and standardized certification of their English language proficiency, which can be included in resumes and applications to demonstrate their abilities to potential employers and educational institutions.
Overview of PTE Academic Exam and PTE Exam sections
The duration of PTE exam sections is close to 3 hours which includes a break too. The PTE exam is computer-based; it has four sections: Speaking, Writing, Reading, and Listening.
Speaking and Writing
At the beginning, you have to introduce yourself that is non-scoring.
Speaking has five parts
- 1. Read Aloud: you have to read a short paragraph.
- 2. Repeat Sentence: You have to listen to a sentence and speak the same sentence to record.
- 3. Describe Image: You have to describe an image in 40 seconds.
- 4. Re-tell Lecture: You have to describe an audio in 40 seconds.
- 5. Answer Short Questions: This is a general question to answer in a word.
Write has two parts.
- 1. Summarize written text: you have to summarize a passage in one sentence.
- 2. Write an essay: you have your opinion about a prompt in 200 words.
Reading has five parts
- 1. Multiple Choice, Choose Single Answer: There will be a short paragraph to read and answer to question.
- 2. Multiple Choice, Choose Multiple Answers: There will be a small part to read and there will be more than one correct option.
- 3. Re-order Paragraphs: you have to arrange sentences in the correct sequence.
- 4. Reading: Fill in the Blanks: you will be suggested a few words to add in the box.
- 5. Reading and Writing: Fill in the Blanks are questions with four options each.
Listening has eight parts
- 1. Summarize Spoken Text: You will listen to a spoken text and summarize it.
- 2. Multiple Choice, Choose Multiple Answers: it is the same as reading. The only difference is here you have to listen to audio and answer.
- 3. Fill in the Blanks: it is the same as the reading. The only difference is text vs audio.
- 4. Highlight Correct Summary: you have to summarize the audio and get the summary of it.
- 5. Multiple Choice, Choose Single Answer: it is the same as reading. The difference is text vs audio.
- 6. Select Missing Word: After listening to the audio, you have to find the last sentence of the audio.
- 7. Highlight Incorrect Words: You have to click on the text that has been mispronounced.
- 8. Write from Dictation: it is a copy of a repeate sentence only difference is word vs text.
Scoring System of PTE Exam Sections
PTE Academic scores from 10 to 90 points, with 10-point intervals. Every question has a different scoring scale. Majorly one correct one point and rest based on grammar, content, form, fluency, pronunciation, and accuracy. After calculation, they are added together to find the overall and individual section scores. The scoring is based on automated scoring algorithms. After the PTE Academic Syllabus 2024 and scoring, Your next step is to know tips and tricks and study materials to follow for preparation.
Specific tips and strategies for PTE preparation guide
Speaking and Writing Section
Tip: Practice a short, structured speech about yourself. Focus on clarity and fluency.
Strategy: Include basic details like your name, background, and purpose for taking PTE.
I. Read Aloud:
Tip: Practice reading aloud from various texts to improve pronunciation and intonation.
Strategy: Use natural pacing, clear articulation, and correct emphasis on words.
II. Repeat Sentence:
Tip: Focus on memory techniques to remember and reproduce sentences accurately.
Strategy: Immediately after hearing the sentence, start speaking without hesitation.
III. Describe Image:
Tip: Learn to quickly identify key elements in an image and organize your description logically.
Strategy: Practice using descriptive language and a range of vocabulary.
IV. Re-tell Lecture:
Tip: Develop note-taking skills to capture main ideas and details.
Strategy: Summarize the lecture coherently, covering the main points and conclusions.
V. Answer Short Question:
Tip: Enhance your understanding and general sense of topics.
Strategy: Listen carefully to the question and answer directly and concisely.
VI. Summarize Written Text:
Tip: Practice identifying the gist of information.
Strategy: Write concise summaries using complex sentences and correct grammar.
VII. Essay Writing:
Tip: Develop skills in structuring an essay in the form of an intro, body, and conclusion.
Strategy: Focus on clarity, coherence, grammar, and vocabulary range.Reading Section
VIII. Multiple Choice, Choose Single Answer:
Tip: Read the question first, then skim the text for the relevant information.
Strategy: Eliminate wrong answers and compare for the best.
IX. Multiple Choice, Choose Multiple Answers:
Tip: Pay attention to detail as more than one answer may be correct.
Strategy: Use the process of elimination via keywords.
X. Re-order Paragraphs:
Tip: Look for logical links between sentences and paragraphs.
Strategy: Identify topic sentences and concluding sentences to determine the order.
XI. Reading: Fill in the Blanks:
Tip: Enhance your vocabulary.
Strategy: Read the sentence with each option to see which one fits best.
XII. Reading & Writing: Fill in the Blanks:
Tip: Focus on grammar and word choice.
Strategy: Understand the context of the paragraph to choose the most appropriate word.Listening Section
XIII. Summarize Spoken Text:
Tip: Practice summarizing main points and supporting details from audio clips.
Strategy: Note down key points while listening and use them to structure your summary.
XIV. Multiple Choice, Choose Multiple Answers:
Tip: Listen for specific details and be prepared to select more than one correct answer.
Strategy: Write down keywords or phrases related to each option while listening.
XV. Fill in the Blanks:
Tip: Improve your ability to understand spoken English and predict missing words.
Strategy: Concentrate on the context and use grammar cues.
XVI. Highlight Correct Summary:
Tip: Develop the skill of identifying the main idea and key details in spoken texts.
Strategy: Compare each option with your understanding of the audio.
XVII. Select Missing Word:
Tip: Focus on the overall meaning of the spoken text.
Strategy: Anticipate the word based on the context before the beep sound.
XVIII. Highlight Incorrect Words:
Tip: Practice your listening skills to detect discrepancies between spoken words and the transcript.
Strategy: Follow along the transcript and stay alert for any deviations.
XIX. Write from Dictation:
Tip: Enhance your listening and writing skills, focusing on word order and spelling.
Strategy: Write down the sentence as you hear it, paying attention to connectors and structure.
By focusing on these specific strategies for each task, you can prepare effectively for the PTE Academic exam.
Preparation Materials and Resources
Preparing for the PTE Academic exam requires access to a variety of materials and resources to ensure comprehensive coverage of all sections and task types. Here’s a list of recommended materials:
i. Official PTE Academic Materials
PTE Academic Official Practice Website: Offers official practice tests, sample questions, and interactive exercises.
The Official Guide to PTE Academic: Contains explanations of each part of the test, practice questions, and strategies.
Pearson Test of English Academic, Practice Tests Plus, and CD-ROM with Key Pack: Provides practice tests with key strategies and tips.
ii. Books and Study Guides
“Expert PTE Academic Coursebook B1 & B2”: This is good for understanding the format and strategies for the test.
“PTE Academic 79 Plus” by I Ibrar: Offers strategies, practice questions, and tips for achieving a high score.
iii. Online Resources and WebsitesE2Language: Provides online PTE preparation, including video lessons, practice questions, and feedback from tutors.
iv. PTE Tutorials: Offers mock tests, and sample answers.
Magoosh PTE Prep: Features video lessons.
v. Mobile Apps
PTE Academic Official Practice App: Offers practice questions, scored mock tests, and study plan suggestions.
PTE Success - Exam Preparation & Scored Mock Test: This app provides practice questions, mock tests, and performance tracking.
vi. Practice Tests and Mock Exams
PTE Mock Tests: Online platforms often offer realistic mock tests that simulate the actual exam environment.
PTE Academic Sample Questions: Available on the official PTE website or through various online resources.
vii. Online Courses and Tutoring
Online PTE coaching classes: Many websites and platforms offer coaching, including personalized feedback and strategy sessions.
Private tutoring: For personalized attention and strategies tailored to your specific needs.
viii. Additional Resources
Language Learning Forums and Study Groups: Engaging with fellow PTE aspirants for tips, advice, and study group opportunities.
YouTube Channels: There are many educational channels offering free tips, strategies, and lessons for PTE preparation.
Tips for Using These Resources:
- ⮚ Consistency is Key: Regular and systematic study is crucial.
- ⮚ Practice with Mock Tests: Simulate exam conditions regularly to build stamina and get a realistic feel of the test.
- ⮚ Use a Variety of Materials: Don’t rely on just one source. Different materials offer different insights and types of practice.
- ⮚ Seek Feedback: If you’re struggling with certain aspects, consider seeking feedback from tutors or online forums.
- ⮚ Focus on Weak Areas: Use these resources to improve accuracy.
Remember, while these resources are immensely helpful, success in the PTE Academic exam also depends on your dedication, regular practice, and familiarity with the exam format. Registration for the PTE Academic exam, its associated fees, and information about test centers involves several key points. Here's a guide:
Registration for the PTE Academic Exam
- o Visit the official PTE Academic website to register for the exam.
- o Create an account.
- o Choose your test center, date, and time-based on availability.
Advance Booking: book your test in advance
Identification Requirements: Ensure you have valid identification, usually a passport, which you'll need to present on the test day.
Fees for PTE Academic Exam
- 🟇 Standard Test Fee:
- The fee varies by country and region. However, it is between $150 to USD 220 but can vary.
- 🟇 Late Registration Fee:
- If you book your test late (typically within 48 hours of the test date), a higher fee may be charged.
- 🟇 Rescheduling and Cancellation Fees:
- In case of cancelation or rescheduling, do it well in advance to avoid extra charges.
- Fees for rescheduling or cancellation are also available on the PTE website.
Test Centers for PTE Academic ExamGlobal Availability:
- ● PTE Academic test centers are available globally in many countries.
- ● You may find the exact locations and addresses of test centers on the website.
- ● Facilities and Accessibility:
- ● Test centers are equipped with the necessary facilities and are designed to be accessible.
- ● Visit the test center to know the location, route, and transportation.
Tips for Test Day
- ◾ Arrival Time:
Arrive at the test center early, as there might be pre-test procedures to complete.
- ◾ What to Bring:
Bring your identification and any other required documents.
- ◾ Familiarizing with Test Format:
Be thoroughly familiar with the test format to reduce anxiety and manage time effectively during the test.
Remember to check the official PTE Academic website for the most current and detailed information, as fees and test center availability can change.